Thursday, October 20, 2011

Decision Time

In a few hours I'm supposed to meet with my neurologist to discuss what medication I should go on. I'm grateful with the doctor giving me the choice between 4 medications (Avonex, Rebif, Gilenya, and Copaxone) because I know that it will make me more likely to follow through on the treatment. However, I almost wish he didn't since I feel like this is the most indecisive I have ever been. I researched all my options and the more I dig into it the more they all seem the same. I have used charts and statistical analysis to help me to try to compare the medications and their effectiveness. The engineer in me was expecting this to show me the answer. I don't like that there doesn't seem to be an obvious choice. Drug manufacturers, I'm on to you and your manipulating your study results to make it seem like your drug is better. The things that you are comparing are apples and oranges apart.

My analysis shows me that Gilenya and Copaxone have relatively the same results when it comes to "stopping" MS. They both have different pluses and minuses when it comes to things like safety and convenience but ultimately both drugs are pretty similar. Gilenya seems like a magic pill. Maybe it is but it just seems too good to be true.

I don't really want to give myself a shot everyday but I keep telling myself if that is what is best then I will do it. The fact remains that I don't want to and the closer we get to decision time the more I have developed a strong resistance against doing so. Why should I have to deal with shots and what not when I can just take a pill every day? Can it really be that easy?

No answer here
I need some pretty graph to show me the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment