Monday, July 18, 2016

I was admitted to the hospital on 7/14 or Day -5. The days are negative until I get my stem cells back on 7/19, after that they are positive until I'm released somewhere Day 8-10. Admission this time went much more slowly, hurray for less than a four hour wait but the PICC line was still bothering me so we had to adjust it and do X-rays to make sure it was in the right place. Eventually everything got settled and we got chemo started in the afternoon followed by rATG. I really have no idea how the rATG works but it is something that is derived from rabbit antibodies that helps suppress my immune system more.

I spent a lot of time on those two days making sure that my medicines where in the system correctly and that the pharmacy wasn't giving me things that I was allergic to. This turned out to be quite a process. I was told to bring the meds I take at home with me as this reduces costs for us and then I know I'm not allergic to them. I'm not sure why but some of them were entered into the system incorrectly and I really had to watch to make sure that I was getting the right dose at the right time, not the easiest process with the chemo fog I might add. Then I find out that the meds aren't being checked before they are given to me to make sure I'm not actually allergic to them. Um kinda a big deal. It is straightened out now but it is a little scary how that all was allowed to happen.

Dealing with the silly medicine issues were more difficult than the chemo, glad it got straightened out.
Battling the PICC line...it's just a flesh wound


No comments:

Post a Comment