Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thanksgiving recap

It's been a whirlwind since thanksgiving. We hosted thanksgiving for the first time. I'm very glad that most of the food was catered because their was no way we would have been able to host a full meal. It was small and pretty relaxed even still I think I pushed it too hard. Turns out the thanksgiving is a lot of work. Thanks mom and grandma for hosting all the other thanksgivings in my life. Overall I think everything went well. 

The day after thanksgiving we went on a road trip. We have been meaning to visit a friend in Maryland for months now but for numerous reasons the trip kept getting delayed. We were not sure if we would be able to make this trip until a few days before. We spent a few days in Baltimore visiting and then we headed to Washington DC for two nights. It was a good trip and I'm really glad we went but I think I may have pushed it a little too hard. I think the hubby might be a little worn out from pushing me up Capital Hill and all the driving. It was nice to get away.

I wasn't able to escape completely mentally from the BS of dealing with MS. The first day of the trip I got a phone call from my Judy. I call her my Judy because I don't really know what her job is. She is a nurse or physician assistant or something like that. Anyways she is my Judy and she is super helpfully. She called to let my know that the insurance company called and was asking the doctor about my appeal. He verified what I had written and they thought that the call had gone well. So for the rest of the trip I kept anxiously checking my email to see if the doctor had heard anything. 

When we got home there was a letter from the insurance company saying that Gilenya wasn't medically necessary since I have not taken two other medications prior. I don't think they read my letter at all. I felt pretty frustrated and defeated. I'm still glad that I waited and did the appeal because otherwise I would have been wondering what if and that would have driven my a little more insane.

I called the Gileyna program people to tell them about the denial and inquire about patient assistance to see if we could afford the medication without insurance. Today I got a message back from them saying that Humana hadn't informed them of the denial and that it was still processing (as of yesterday). They think that the insurance is reviewing their decision again. I don't think they really know what's going on. Don't get me wrong the trip wasn't overshadowed by this news or anything it was just unfortunate to have to come back from vacation mode to bad news and more hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment